Garnet Commutator Paper
Shop our catalog
Helwig Carbon stocks several sizes of Garnet Commutator Paper for proper seating of your carbon brushes.
It’s non-conductive and is used for pre-shaping carbon brushes and cleaning commutator surfaces.
How to Seat in a Carbon Brush
- Place commutator paper of sufficient width to contact all brushes with abrasive side out and secure with masking tape the full circumference of the commutator.
- Rotate by hand in the direction of rotation until the brushes have taken on 75% of the radius 80 grit paper does the primary shaping and should be followed by 220 grit for a fine finish.
If you need more information, please watch our training video on how to seat a carbon brush below.
Purpose of Brush Seating
- Not properly seating in the carbon brushes can cause brush and commutator damage leading to costly maintenance and downtime
- By properly seating in the carbon brushes it allows you to use rated current almost immediately
- Use only garnet commutator paper do not use emery cloth Seat all the carbon brushes
- Change all carbon brushes at one time
- Order carbon brushes with precut radius
- Vacuum excess carbon dust to prevent from reaching machine windings and bearings